Why You Should NEVER Use Gas Stoves Or Oven As Heaters

Gas stoves and ovens are not designed to heat your home. They should only be used for cooking purposes. Using it for heating is not only dangerous but it can be fatal.

To safely use a gas stove or oven, it needs a vent or continuous ventilation. If you turn on your oven while the oven door is open, you will allow for toxic gas emissions such as carbon monoxide (CO).

Carbon monoxide is colourless, tasteless and odourless. It rises since it’s less dense than air. This gas can be toxic, even lethal if you’re exposed to large amounts.

Signs of carbon monoxide poisoning

  • Persistent fatigue
  • Headaches
  • Shortness of breath
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Loss of consciousness

If you experience any of these symptoms while using gas appliances, stop immediately and locate to an area where you can get some fresh air and/or seek medical attention.

The risk of using your gas stove or oven doesn’t stop there. It is also a fire hazard. A fire can easily be started when a napkin or towel fall onto a burner or into the oven.

Additionally, if you have young children or pets in your home, accidental contact with a hot element could put them at risk for serious burns.

The truth is that ovens aren’t really that effective for heating your home anyway. It is best to stay with safe options such as a gas fireplace or gas heaters. It is also vital to do regular maintenance on any gas appliance in your home to reduce the risk of malfunction.

When you use indoor gas appliances according to the manufacturer’s recommendations, you won’t put yourself or your family at risk.

Get more information on how to safely use gas appliances from Action Gas, professional gas installers Johannesburg. Or give them a call for a free quote today.