It’s that time of the year when a lovely chill in the air turns into frosty and downright freezing. This is also the time we start using our gas heaters. While gas heaters are one of the best ways to heat your home and to keep the heat consistent, it’s vital that you use it safely. Below are some safety tips you can follow when using your gas heater.
- Make sure you turn off your heater before you leave your home or go to bed.
- Regular maintenance is crucial for keeping your heater safe and efficient.
- Never use flammable cleaning chemicals or aerosol sprays near the gas heater.
- Avoid getting too close to your gas heater. While it may feel nice and warm, gas burns are painful.
- Make sure that your room is well-ventilated when using your gas heater. Allow for fresh air by opening doors and windows if it becomes muggy to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. CO is odourless and colourless and can cause serious illness or even death.
- Don’t ever put towels or clothing items over your gas heater to warm them up. This is dangerous since you can start a fire without even noticing.
- If your gas heater is portable, don’t move it around when in use. Turn it off and wait for it to cool off before you attempt to move it around.
- Keep small kids and pets far away from your gas heater to avoid tiny fingers or paws getting burned.
- Your gas heater should be far away (at least a metre) from ignitable objects such as books, boxes and curtains.
- Regularly get your gas heater checked by professional gas heater installers Johannesburg such as Action Gas.
By servicing your gas heater regularly and using it correctly, you can keep warm this winter with complete peace of mind.